a fall twist on a classic cocktail
Fall is here and aside from Pumpkin Spiced Lattes, you must try my favorite fall cocktail — the Honeycrisp Old Fashioned.
Yield: Serves one, is easily multiplied.
Total Time: 20 minutes
honeycrisp syrup ingredients:
- Honeycrisp syrup
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup water
honeycrisp old fashioned ingredients:
- 1 ounce Honeycrisp syrup
- 2 to 3 drops bitters
- Thinly sliced apple for garnish
- Cinnamon sugar, if desired
honeycrisp syrup instructions:
1. Place the apple and water in a saucepan and heat over medium heat.
2. Cook until the mixture is simmering and the apple is tender and begins to break down.
3. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth and blended.
4. Strain over a fine mesh sieve into a measuring cup.
The amount of Honeycrisp juice you have is how much sugar you need. If you have ½ cup of juice, use ½ cup of sugar. Equal parts.
5. Place both the Honeycrisp juice and the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
6. Whisk until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is simmering.
7. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
8. Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
honeycrisp old fashioned instructions:
1. Place ice cube(s) in a chilled tumbler and add Honeycrisp syrup.
2. Add a few drops of bitters and then the bourbon.
3. Stir, add apple slices as garnish, and serve.
4. If desired, you can rim the glass with cinnamon sugar or sprinkle sugar on top of the apples.